January is one of my favorite months. Not only is it a new calendar year (and I love new calendars, planners, pencils, pens, anything to make them pretty), but it is also the month to celebrate my birthday. Birthdays were not celebrated a whole lot when I was growing up, but now I seek to make them a big deal. Why? Because God chose that day out of all other days in the year for you to enter the world. That is definitely reason to celebrate!
And this year, I’m entering the last of a decade. Really the last of being young — wait, no I keep telling myself that 40 is not old — and I want to engage well with my birthday this year. Don’t know what type of dessert will hold 39 candles, but there will be dessert you can rest assured.
So, for this year, 39, not 2016, I wanted to adopt a bucket list item of sorts — do something once a month that won’t cost money — but will engage my whole person in other ways. I have another bucket list that involves mostly traveling with my mister, but this one will be just mine and I wanted to share them with you.
- I love snail mail, but honestly I’m still better at texts than letters. So, this year, I want to write 52 letters and actually mail them. That is only one per week and it will be build a sincere habit of encouraging others, sharing my story, sending love through a stamp to others.
- Date my boys. I want to have one date each month with one of them. That is something special outside of our normal days. That will give me intentional time of spoiling them. It won’t have to be expensive, but it will teach me to treasure them and love them and keep their little blue eyes fixed in my memory. Let them be little.
- Find 12 new trails. I love to exercise, but stick mostly to the gym. That’s because its easy. This year I want to find 12 new trails around where we live or when we are exploring a new town, to see God’s creation from a new angle.
- Encourage the elderly. There are many elderly in our communities (whether in your church, neighborhood, or family friends) and they need encouragement. So, once a month, I want to take either baked goods or flowers to one of the elderly families in our lives and love on them. Bring my boys or just sit with them. That will be completely out of my comfort zone, but it will be both a blessing to me and hopefully, Lord willing, to them.
- Learn something new: brush lettering, watercolor, a new photography skill, improve my cake decorating. It is easy to get in a rut even with hobbies we are good at, but I need to stretch myself and keep improving my game.
- Bake something new each month. I love to spend time in the kitchen. But, I usually cook the same things but tweak the recipe a bit. I want to learn how to make croissants, crackers, eclairs, etc.
While this bucket list may be specific to me, there are general concepts that you can incorporate into your year. Encourage others. Spend time with those you love the most. Invest in generations (both older and younger). Exercise and enjoy God’s creation. Explore. Be a blessing to others. Try new things.
What’s on your bucket list? Feel free to share with the rest of us at the Ungrind community so we can encourage each other.
You never know what will happen what great things God might have in store for you through this avenues of adventure.
Welcome to Ungrind!
Do you want to be inspired, motivated, and equipped to live the everyday story of your life well?
If so, you’re in the right place. Whether you need encouragement in your relationships or in your faith, I hope you’ll find the transparent voices of mentors and friends here at Ungrind.
So, grab a cup of coffee and keep reading. We're so glad you're here!
Ashleigh Slater, Founder & Managing Editor
Get Our Free Ebook!
3 Ways to Navigate Personality Differences
Sometimes personality differences can wear on us. Here are three ways we can navigate them in a loving manner.
Surprised By ‘A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood’
If you haven't seen this film, God may speak to your heart through it in ways you weren't expecting.
The Wedding Ring
Are you struggling in your marriage? Here's how a wedding ring helped one wife fight for her marriage.
5 Ways to Live an Out-of-Control Life
Here are 5 ways to let go of control and trust your present and your future to God.
5 Creative Places to Find Prayer Accountability
Do you want to pray more, but are easily distracted? Here are some practical ways to stay focused.
How to Rescue a Day Gone Wrong in Your Marriage
Just because a day doesn't start well, doesn't mean you can't rescue it.
How To Change Your Life in 10 Minutes
Here's how you can change your life with a simple 10 minutes a day.
What Women Are Saying
--Rachel Starr Thomson, author of Heart to Heart: Meeting With God in the Lord's Prayer
"Real life is not always pleasant. Every marriage experiences disappointments, misunderstandings, sickness and financial crisis. Ashleigh doesn’t camouflage the pain in her own marriage, and offers practical ideas on how to walk through the difficulties and find intimacy on the journey. If you are anything like me, I predict that as you read, you too will find yourself laughing, wiping tears, and saying 'Oh, yes.'"
-- Gary Chapman, #1 New York Times bestselling author of The 5 Love Languages
We are a member of the Amazon affiliate program and regularly use affiliate links. If you purchase an item from an Amazon link we provide, we will receive a small referral commission. This doesn’t cost you anything additional. We only share books, music, and products that our writers personally have used and highly recommend.
Faith4 years ago
When Doing Justly, Loving Mercy, and Walking Humbly Stand at Odds
Motherhood4 years ago
Surviving a Strong-Willed Child
Faith4 years ago
7 Ways to Create A Family Altar
Friendship5 years ago
Beyond the Registry: The Ultimate Gift Guide for Expectant Parents
Relationships2 months ago
5 Ways to Teach Your Child to Hear God
Marriage6 years ago
4 Reasons I’m Not Facebook Friends With My Husband
Everyday Faith4 years ago
6 Simple Ways to Give Thanks in the Thick of It
Articles5 years ago
10 Ways Life is Like a Box of Chocolates
Articles7 years ago
How to Lift Up the One You Love
Articles5 years ago
Relationships6 months ago
Facing Our Motherhood Fears
Digging Into Scripture2 months ago
How the Psalms Speak to Our Emotions